Wildlife trade key contacts

Department of the Environment

The Department of the Environment

  • administers the Environment Protection and Biodiversity Conservation Act 1999 (EPBC Act)
  • issues permits for international trade of plants and animals
  • primary Australian Government department for wildlife conservation matters.


  • Issue of permits for international wildlife trade
  • Permit validation
  • General enquiries

The Director
Wildlife Trade Regulation Section
Department of the Environment
GPO Box 787
Canberra ACT 2601
Telephone: +61 2 6274 1900
Facsimile: +61 2 6274 1921
Email: wildlifetrade@environment.gov.au


  • Seizure notices and applications for return of specimens
  • Seizures advice and books
  • Loan and disposal of specimens

Telephone: (02) 6274 2274 or (02) 6274 2275
Email: wildlife.seizures@environment.gov.au

Reporting illegal wildlife trade

Telephone: (02) 6274 1801
Email: wildlifetrade.compliance@environment.gov.au

Department of Immigration and Border Protection - Australian Border Force

Australian Customs and Border Protection Service enforces wildlife law at Australia's borders on behalf of the department. The Australian Customs and Border Protection Service also administers the Customs Act 1901.

Australian Border Force

General enquiries: http://www.border.gov.au/about/contact/make-enquiry
Webpage: http://www.border.gov.au/canibringitback
Phone: 131 881

Cargo support (EDN's and ICS enquiries)

General enquires: cargosupport@border.gov.au
Email is the primary method of contact for the Cargo Clearance Centre
Phone: 1300 558 099

Department of Agriculture - Biosecurity

You may need approval from Biosecurity to import live animals into Australia, or to import or export animal or plant products. For details about quarantine requirements, contact the Biosecurity office in your state capital or the head office.

Quarantine Act 1908
Department of Agriculture
General enquiries: info@agriculture.gov.au
Webpage: www.agriculture.gov.au
Phone: +61 2 6272 3933
1800 900 090 (free call within Australia)

Therapeutic Goods Administration

For complementary or traditional medicines, you may need approval from the Therapeutic Goods Administration (TGA).

Therapeutic Goods Act 1989
Therapeutic Goods Administration Office of Complementary Medicines
PO Box 100
Woden ACT 2606
Telephone: (02) 6232 8634 or 1800 020 653
Facsimile: (02) 6232 8577
Regulation of complementary medicines

State and territory contacts

State and territory governments also have their own laws about keeping exotic animals and keeping/trading native wildlife.

Contact your state or territory government to find out what you may need to do.