Lord Howe Island biodiversity management plan
Department of Environment and Climate Change, New South Wales, May 2008
ISBN 978 1 74122 598 3
- Lord Howe Island biodiversity management plan (PDF - 3.1 MB)
- Lord Howe Island Biodiversity management plan - appendices (PDF - 9.3 MB)
About this document
The Lord Howe Island Biodiversity Management Plan encompasses threats and management actions relevant to the Island group’s overall biodiversity, with a particular focus on rare and significant species and communities of the LHIG. This approach enables holistic and cost-effective management of the Lord Howe Island Group’s biodiversity. The Lord Howe Island Biodiversity Management Plan also constitutes the formal National and NSW Recovery Plan for threatened species and communities of the Lord Howe Island Group. As such, it considers the conservation requirements of these species within the Group.
This plan identifies the actions to be taken to ensure the long-term viability of threatened and significant species and communities of the Lord Howe Island Group in nature and the parties who will undertake these actions.
The recovery actions detailed in this plan include:
- implementing the Lord Howe Island Board quarantine policy,
- protecting existing native vegetation,
- on-ground eradication and control of weeds,
- revegetation of priority sites,
- control and/or eradication of introduced vertebrate and invertebrate fauna,
- research and monitoring into species' ecology and management options,
- monitoring the impacts of climate change,
- captive breeding and reintroductions,
- surveys of potential habitat,
- community awareness.
It is intended that the Biodiversity Management Plan will be implemented over a 10-year period.
The Lord Howe Island Biodiversity Management Plan is presented in two documents. This document consists of the main body of the plan, while the second document contains the appendices that accompany the main plan (appendices document). A list of the appendices contained in the appendices document is provided on the contents page.