Original by Dr Margaret Rowe, 2002
Last revised by the Department of the Environment and Heritage, December 2004
ISBN 0 6425 4820 X
- Notes about shorebirds to Australian schools
- How birds are classified?
- Did birds evolve from dinosaurs?
- The feather coat
- Keeping warm
- Birds need water
- Heart and blood circulation
- Birds have very efficient lungs
- Five senses, or more?
- Reproduction and development
- Long distance migration of shorebirds
- How shorebird migration is studied
- Threats to shorebirds
- Actions being taken to protect shorebirds and their habitat
- Suggestions for teachers
- Internet sites
© Commonwealth of Australia 2002
Information contained in this publication may be copied or reproduced for study, research, information or educational purposes, subject to inclusion of an acknowledgement of the source.
The views and opinions expressed in this publication are those of the authors and do not necessarily reflect those of the Commonwealth Government, the Minister for the Environment and Heritage, or the Government of the State of Victoria.
This publication was produced in association with the State of Victoria through the Teacher Release to Industry Program.
Text by: Dr Margaret Rowe
Design by: Rachael Brühn Design
The Wetlands Section
Department of the Environment, Water, Heritage and the Arts
GPO Box 787
Canberra ACT 2601
Ph: 02 6274 1111 (switch)