About the Australian Faunal Directory
Feedback welcome — please email us.
Bulk data downloads
Bulk data downloads are available for:
- Checklists of scientific names for taxon groups — select taxon (e,g. order, family, etc) and choose ‘Names List’ tab at right
- Bibliography for a taxon group — select taxon (e,g. order, family, etc) and choose ‘Bibliography’ tab at right
- Biocodes for a taxon group — select ‘Biocode Search’ tab on left for selected taxon
Bulk downloads are exported as CSV files.
* A GUID (globally unique identifier) is a persistent logical key which provides a unique reference number. GUIDs used in AFD will become the ObjectID component of AFD LSIDs.
Custom Data Extracts
We can provide some custom data extracts in a variety of formats including CSV and XML.
If you have a request for a specific sub-set of data from our system, please email us and we'll see what we can do.
Website URLs and links
The URLs in the AFD are friendly and can help aid soft integration and deep linking with other websites.
The general pattern for a information about a taxon is:
The taxon identifier can be one of the following unique identifiers for a taxon:
- A valid name (you can substitute underscores '_' for spaces):
- An ambiguous valid name, specifying the parent taxon:
- taxa/Melobasina;Haplotrinchina or taxa/Melobasina;Melobasini
- An unambiguous synonym:
- An unambiguous common name:
- A CAVS code:
- A CAAB code:
- taxa/37165001 or taxa/37 165001
- An AFD name or taxon GUID:
You can also directly request a resource for an identified taxon, such as:
- The taxonomic placement:
- A names CSV export:
- The statistics for a group:
- taxa/frogs/statistics or taxa/amphibia/checklist