Import Levy and Equivalent Carbon Price Calculator
Calculate the import levy and carbon price component for synthetic greenhouse gases and blends of synthetic greenhouse gases with other gases
Download the calculator
- Import Levy and Equivalent Carbon Price Calculator - Version 1.1, updated 24 August 2012
The Import Levy and Equivalent Carbon Price Calculator estimates the import levy payable on synthetic greenhouse gases and blends of synthetic greenhouse gases, including the carbon charge component set in accordance with the Ozone Protection and Synthetic Greenhouse Gas (Import Levy) Act 1995 and associated legislation.
The calculator is an easy-to-use tool to estimate the total import levy that would be payable on any proposed import of synthetic greenhouse gases, or blends of synthetic greenhouse gases.
Users must select the gas to be imported, and enter the quantity to be imported, as well as the financial year in which it is to be imported. The calculator then calculates the total levy amount payable for a proposed import.
The instructions in the calculator are clear and easy to follow.
For any questions on how to use the calculator, or to report any technical difficulties, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 1800 803 772. Email queries are preferred.
What is the import levy?
The import levy consists of two elements: a cost recovery levy, and the equivalent carbon price.
To determine the equivalent carbon price, the calculator automatically identifies the global warming potential of the selected gas, then multiplies this by:
- the quantity being imported, and
- the 'applicable charge' for applying the equivalent carbon price. The 'applicable charge' will be $23.00 in 2012-13, $24.15 in 2013-14, and $25.40 in 2014-15. The calculator will apply the relevant applicable charge for whichever year is selected.
To determine the cost recovery component, the calculator multiplies the number of metric tonnes to be imported by $165.
Imports of blends
For imports of synthetic greenhouse gases blended with hydrochlorofluorocarbons (HCFCs), an additional factor is automatically included in the levy calculation:
- The amount of HCFC content in the selected blend is multiplied by a separate Ozone Depleting Substance import levy of $3 000 per ODP (Ozone Depleting Potential) tonne. It is important to note that HCFCs are not subject to the equivalent carbon price.
The equivalent carbon price component of the levy (as described above) is then only applied to the synthetic greenhouse gas content of the blend, rather than to the total blended gas.
Acronyms used in the calculator
GWP Global Warming Potential according to International Panel on Climate Change AR2 1995
ODP Ozone Depleting Potential
ODS Ozone Depleting Substance
SGG synthetic greenhouse gas
This calculator is a basic tool for use in the calculation of the import levy, including the carbon charge component set in accordance with the Ozone Protection and Synthetic Greenhouse Gas (Import Levy) Act 1995 and associated legislation. The results of this calculator are indicative. They are not a guarantee of the actual levy that will be payable. Although all effort has been taken to ensure that the data used in this calculator is accurate, you should not rely solely on this calculator to determine your obligations.
The Australian Government:
- disclaims, to the extent permitted by law any representations and warranties, express or implied, of any kind in respect of the calculator; and
- shall not be liable for any loss or damage whatsoever (including loss or damage caused by human, technical or process error or malfunction, or negligence of any kind or loss or damage that is incidental or consequential) arising out of or in connection with any use of, or reliance on, the calculator.
The calculator was developed using Microsoft® Office EXCEL® 2007. It is the responsibility of the user to use an EXCEL version that can run the calculator.
- Contact us
If you have an enquiry about the equivalent carbon price on synthetic greenhouse gas please let us know.