Department of the Environment, Water, Heritage and the Arts, 2010
Guide to the Annual Report
The Department of the Environment, Water, Heritage and the Arts (DEWHA) Annual Report 2009-10 has been prepared in accordance with the Requirements for Annual Reports for Departments, Executive Agencies and FMA Act Bodies, as approved by the Joint Committee of Public Accounts and Audit. This report is presented in four sections as outlined below.
This section provides:
- a review by the secretary of the 2009-10 year
- an overview of portfolio structure, and
- a summary of the department's financial performance.
This section contains five chapters that detail DEWHA's activities, achievements and performance during the year against the five outcomes as set down in the department's strategic plan and the Portfolio Budget Statements 2009-10. These outcomes are:
- Outcome 1: Conserving our natural assets
- Outcome 2: Living and working sustainably
- Outcome 3: Protecting Antarctica
- Outcome 4: Adapting to a future with less water
- Outcome 5: Protecting and enhancing Australia's culture and heritage.
Legislation annual reports are included with the Outcome 1, 2, 4 and 5 chapters.1 Some Acts that the department administers require the department or minister to provide annual reports on their operation to the parliament. This report details the operation of the eight Acts the department administers that do not report separately, focusing on how the statutory requirements of the Acts were met during the reporting year and how the Acts were administered.
The Acts covered are:
- Environment Protection and Biodiversity Conservation Act 1999
- Hazardous Waste (Regulation of Exports and Imports) Act 1989
- Ozone Protection and Synthetic Greenhouse Gas Management Act 1989
- Product Stewardship (Oil) Act 2000
- Fuel Quality Standards Act 2000
- Protection of Movable Cultural Heritage Act 1986
- Water Efficiency Labelling and Standards Act 2005
- Water Act 2007: Annual Report of the Commonwealth Environmental Water Holder.
A sixth chapter covers the department's corporate activities as outlined in the department's strategic plan. It details the department's effectiveness in managing the corporate governance, workforce planning, financial framework, stakeholder management and cross-cutting aspects of the department's operations. This outcome is:
- Corporate Outcome: Improving organisational effectiveness.
This section contains DEWHA's audited financial statements for the year ended 30 June 2010.
The report includes a glossary of terms and acronyms, a list of requirements for locating mandatory and suggested information and an alphabetic index.
The department welcomes comment on this report. Enquiries and feedback may be directed to:
Strategic Advice Branch
Department of Sustainability, Environment, Water, Population and Communities2
GPO Box 787
Canberra ACT 2601
Copies of this annual report and other departmental publications can be requested online at www.environment.gov.au/about/publications/order-form.html. Further information can be obtained from the department's internet sites: www.environment.gov.au, www.aad.gov.au , www.arts.gov.au , www.portrait.gov.au
An online version of this annual report and related information, including the supplement listing consultancies, are available at www.environment.gov.au/about/publications/annual-report/index.html
1 The department provides separate annual reports to the parliament for the following legislation:
- Natural Heritage Trust of Australia Act 1997
- Environment Protection (Alligator Rivers Region) Act 1978 (the Supervising Scientist's annual report)
- National Environment Protection Council Act 1994
- Wet Tropics of Queensland World Heritage Area Conservation Act 1994.
2 Following machinery of government changes on 14 September 2010 the department's name was changed in line with the restructure of its portfolio responsibilities.
- Letter of transmittal
- Executive summary
- Outcome 1 - Conserving our natural assets
- Outcome 2 - Living and working sustainably
- Operation of the Hazardous Waste (Regulation of Exports and Imports) Act 1989
- Operation of the Ozone Protection and Synthetic Greenhouse Gas Management Act 1989
- Operation of the product stewardship arrangements for oil including the Product Stewardship (Oil) Act 2000
- Operation of the Fuel Quality Standards Act 2000
- Outcome 3 - Protecting Antarctica
- Outcome 4 - Adapting to a future with less water
- Outcome 5 - Protecting and enhancing Australia's culture and heritage
- Corporate Outcome - Improving organisational effectiveness
- Financial statements
- List of requirements