Prepared by the Ecologically Sustainable Development Steering Committee
Endorsed by the Council of Australian Governments
ISBN 0 644 27253 8
- Part One - Introduction
- What is ecologically sustainable development?
- Australia's goal, core objectives and guiding principles for the Strategy
- Who will be affected by ESD?
- How has this Strategy been developed?
- What are the linkages between this Strategy and other Government policies and initiatives?
- What does the 'National Strategy for ESD' contain?
- What is the 'Compendium of ESD Recommendations'?
- Part Two - Sectoral Issues
- Part Three - Intersectoral Issues
- Biological Diversity
- Nature Conservation System
- Native Vegetation
- Environmental Protection
- Land Use Planning and Decision Making
- Natural Resource and Environment Information
- Environmental Impact Assessment
- Changes to Government Institutions and Machinery
- Coastal Zone Management
- Water Resource Management
- Waste Minimisation and Management
- Pricing and Taxation
- Industry, Trade and Environment Policy
- Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Peoples
- Gender Issues
- Public Health
- Occupational Health and Safety
- Education and Training
- Employment and Adjustment
- Australia's International Cooperation and Overseas Development Assistance Policy
- Population Issues
- Research, Development and Demonstration
- Part Four - Future Development of ESD in Australia
- Summary of the Intergovernmental Agreement on the Environment
- The Rio Declaration on Environment and Development
- A Guide to Agenda 21
- List of Acronyms