The COAG Standing Council on Environment and Water (Council) was established following the 2010 review of the ministerial council system by the Council of Australian Governments (COAG). It incorporates the National Environment Protection Council (NEPC).
Council considers matters of national significance on environment and water issues and is supported by a Senior Officials Committee (SOC) and a new secretariat located in Canberra.
Council is responsible for the delivery of COAG's strategic themes by pursuing and monitoring priority issues of national significance which require a sustained, collaborative effort, and overseeing delivery of a range of policy, implementation and governance functions, including management of projects. COAG has endorsed the following priorities:
- Pursuing seamless environmental regulation and regulatory practice across jurisdictions;
- Progressing national water reform, including through implementing the National Water Initiative, the outcomes of the forthcoming COAG review of the National Water Initiative, and other COAG commitments on water;
- Implementing the National Waste Policy;
- Implementing a national partnership approach to the conservation and management of land, waters, the marine environment and biodiversity at the landscape and ecosystem scale, and to building resilience in a changing climate; and
- Developing and implementing a National Plan for Clean Air to improve air quality and community health and wellbeing.
- Latest news - communiques, reports
The National Environment Protection Council (NEPC) has two primary functions:
- to make National Environment Protection Measures (NEPMs)
- to assess and report on the implementation and effectiveness of NEPMs in participating jurisdictions.
The NEPC is a statutory body with law making powers established under the National Environment Protection Council Act 1994 (Commonwealth), and corresponding legislation in other Australian jurisdictions.
The members of the NEPC are Ministers, not necessarily environment Ministers, from the participating jurisdictions (i.e. Commonwealth, State or Territory Governments).
NEPC meets simultaneously with the Standing Council on Environment and Water.
- For more information visit the NEPC website: www.nepc.gov.au
GPO Box 787
Canberra ACT 2601
Phone: (02) 6274 1819
Fax: (02) 6274 2505